Practically 70% of Gen Z have lately found a track launched over a decade in the past for the primary time.
Greater than half of adults really feel they have been born within the incorrect period due to their style in music, and for many, the 2000s greatest match their music preferences.
Practically 90% consider enhanced audio high quality is a “must-have” when streaming music, and 80% of these upgraded or modified providers to at least one with higher high quality.
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB), a pacesetter in immersive leisure experiences, launched findings from a brand new survey illustrating a shift in music listening conduct. The U.S. examine of adults (18+ or older) who repeatedly take heed to music discovered that many, notably Gen Z, have lately found iconic songs and artists from previous a long time for the primary time whereas others are rediscovering songs from their previous. The analysis revealed social media and Hollywood leisure have a robust affect over how folks uncover music. As well as, the examine additionally discovered that higher audio high quality is a precedence for a lot of, notably Gen Z, when selecting a streaming subscription over different options.
“Music fills our lives with moments of pleasure and has been a solution to escape the challenges we’ve got confronted over the previous two years. This has pushed modifications in client conduct, such because the revival of music from previous a long time to the prioritization of better-quality experiences that permit listeners to attach extra deeply with their favourite artists and songs,” stated John Couling, Senior Vice President of Leisure at Dolby Laboratories. “As we glance to the longer term, we anticipate these influences to have a long-lasting influence over how we take pleasure in music.”
The US-based survey, performed by OnePoll in November 2021, polled 2,000 basic inhabitants adults who repeatedly take heed to music for at the very least one hour per day. The survey examined their listening conduct, buy selections, and habits fashioned from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Adults within the U.S. are feeling nostalgic primarily based on their decisions in music
A lot of respondents really feel like they have been born within the incorrect period due to their style in music, which was highest amongst Gen Z. This has led to the elevated reputation of iconic songs and artists being rediscovered or found for the primary time.
- Six in 10 really feel like they have been born within the incorrect period due to their style in music, which was highest amongst Gen Z (practically 80%). For many, the period that the majority carefully matches their style in music was the 2000s.
- Nearly half have lately found a track launched over a decade in the past, which was highest amongst Gen Z respondents (practically 70%).
- Nearly half acknowledged they’d rediscovered an iconic track or album inside the previous two years, notably Gen Z (over two-thirds).
- Most respondents, near 70%, are embarrassed to share their music playlists with others, notably their boss.
Social media and Hollywood leisure closely affect the invention of latest music
Social media is essentially the most important affect shaping how folks uncover new music, whereas motion pictures and TV reveals play an equally essential function.
- 57% stated social media is the highest method they uncover music.
- Whereas YouTube is the hottest platform for locating music, in keeping with 79% surveyed, Fb, Instagram, and TikTok considerably affect how folks discover new songs.
- Nearly a fourth of people that lately found a track launched over a decade in the past attribute this discovery to a viral video on social media.
- Six in 10 have additionally found a brand new artist or track after watching a TV present or film.
Individuals within the U.S. are spending extra money and time on music
Music has been a car for escapism as many now spend extra money and time on music than they have been in the beginning of 2020.
- Over two-thirds spend extra time listening to music every day than earlier than the beginning of 2020, with over half listening to music 4 hours per day or extra.
- 55% indicated that they spend more cash on music purchases every month, reminiscent of streaming subscriptions, than in the beginning of 2020.
Many are prioritizing audio high quality when having fun with music
When selecting a music streaming plan, music followers prioritize high quality above all – particularly Gen Z. This perception coincides with broader business traits across the uptick amongst streaming providers that provide subscribers enhanced audio by spatial audio experiences like Dolby Atmos or excessive decision (HD) audio.
- Amongst those that pay for a music streaming plan, practically 90% agreed that enhanced audio high quality is a “must-have” function of their subscription, of which greater than halfstrongly agreed.
- Of this group, 82% have upgraded, modified subscriptions, or explicitly paid for a service as a result of it provided higher audio high quality.
- Practically two-thirds who pay for a music streaming subscription indicated that higher sound high quality was extra essential than different options reminiscent of ad-free listening, unique content material, or the power so as to add a number of customers to their account.
- Over 70% surveyed are possible or very prone to buy a brand new audio gadget inside the subsequent six months particularly to reinforce their expertise when listening to music.
- Desire for higher audio high quality was notably excessive amongst Gen Z:
- Practically half of Gen Z surveyed who pay for a music streaming subscription need entry to the most recent cutting-edge audio applied sciences with their plan.
- 86% of Gen Z surveyed are prone to buy a brand new audio gadget within the subsequent six months to get higher audio high quality when having fun with music.
The survey additionally uncovered:
- Evaluating varied varieties of in-car leisure, most see the largest alternative for enhancing the listening expertise when having fun with music within the automotive (43%), adopted by audiobooks and podcasts (23%).
- Greater than two-thirds acknowledged they have been very or considerably all in favour of a brand new know-how that lets them expertise music extra deeply when driving.
Unbelievable music listening experiences in Dolby Atmos are extra accessible than ever
With many adults prioritizing audio high quality, streaming providers look to applied sciences like Dolby Atmos to fulfill this demand and provide subscribers a differentiated expertise. On the identical time, Dolby Atmos has been utilized by creatives to introduce, or reintroduce, their music to new audiences.
“Dolby Atmos empowers artists to push their artistry to new limits by increasing the palette of what’s creatively attainable. As a fan, there isn’t any comparability to listening to music in Dolby Atmos for the primary time,” stated John Couling, Senior Vice President of Leisure at Dolby Laboratories. “Listening to songs in Dolby Atmos is a visceral expertise that utterly modifications the way you need to take pleasure in music.”
Music followers can take pleasure in Dolby Atmos at the moment by common music streaming providers like Apple Music. Dolby has additionally labored with MGM Resorts Worldwide to launch Dolby Stay at Park MGM, the world’s first efficiency venue of its sort to supply reside concert events in Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos can also be remodeling music listening inside automobiles by latest partnerships with Lucid Motors, Mercedes-Benz, and NIO.
For details about learn how to take pleasure in Dolby Atmos, go to: https://www.dolby.com/music/
This random double-opt-in survey of 2,000 basic inhabitants adults within the U.S. was commissioned by Dolby between November 10 and November 12, 2021. It was performed by market analysis firm OnePoll, whose staff members are members of the Market Analysis Society and have company membership to the American Affiliation for Public Opinion Analysis (AAPOR) and the European Society for Opinion and Advertising and marketing Analysis (ESOMAR).
About Dolby Atmos Music
Dolby Atmos is an immersive audio know-how, which is remodeling how music is created and skilled. It takes music to new ranges by immersing listeners contained in the track to disclose particulars with unparalleled readability and depth. Whether or not it’s listening to the layers of devices transfer throughout, catching the refined breath a singer takes between lyrics, or being enveloped in a wave of melodies, nothing compares to listening to music in Dolby Atmos.
To be taught extra, take a look at Dolby’s latest client marketing campaign celebrating Dolby Atmos Music. The marketing campaign options 5 of essentially the most outstanding artists on the earth – Billie Eilish, J Balvin, Justin Bieber, Olivia Rodrigo, and The Weeknd – who share why they assume Dolby Atmos is ushering in a brand new period for music.
About Dolby Laboratories
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) relies in San Francisco with workplaces across the globe. From motion pictures and TV reveals, to apps, music, sports activities, and gaming, Dolby transforms the science of sight and sound into spectacular experiences for billions of individuals worldwide. We accomplice with artists, storytellers, builders, and companies to revolutionize leisure and communications with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Imaginative and prescient, Dolby Cinema, and Dolby.io.
Cairon (Jamie) Armstrong
A photograph accompanying this announcement is accessible at https://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/d51ae94a-1bee-4d09-ac2a-dc9d77abf2de